Jul 7, 2011

Rewards or Punishment

Q: Which do you prefer, the Japanese way or the Californian way? Why? 

------------------------------------------------
じゃれマガ 2011年07月07日号

The government wants people to save energy.
Should they use rewards or punishment ("ame ka muchi")?
For large users of energy in the Kanto and Tohoku areas, they are using punishment.
These users have to cut their energy use by 15%.
If they don't, they have to pay fines of up to 1,000,000 yen.
In California, the government is using rewards.
If companies cut their electricity use by 20%, they pay less for the electricity.


Send your comments to jaremaga@gmail.com
浜島書店 英文メールマガジン「じゃれマガ」
携帯 : http://catchawave.jp/m/jm/
PC : http://catchawave.jp/jm/

------------------------
※コメントした人については、普通は、ニックネームのラベルをつけて、カウントに反映させています。あいにく、ラベルは1つの記事に20までしかつけられませんので、この記事に関するコメントは、このブログ上ではなく、私の方の記録に+1でカウントすることにします。

11 comments:

  1. I like the California way,Because I think no one like punishment,and no one don't like rewards.And punishment will make the person has pressure.The California way not only can cut their electricity,but also can make peple happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Californian way better than Japanese.
    Because the Japanese way is have to pay fines of up to 1,000,000 yen.I don`t like it, but the Californian way pay fines less.In this, I
    agree witt the Californian way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. > Rei & Techno

    Thanks for your opinions. I don't like to be pressured or forced, either. In California, people don't have to pay fines, but can pay less for the electricity. That sounds like a good idea.

    But I heard someone saying, "Using fines will be more effective". What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like california way better.
    Because the reason for I is that it doesn't want to pay money by the penalty etc.
    If it is possible to do, I want to gain it.
    And, money should be saved up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think so too,kenk.
    I like the Californian way than the Japanese way.
    Because, the Califonian way makes me want to cut thir energy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think so too, techno.
    But, I add to his opinions.
    I think, In japanese way, People feels negative. In order to save enagy, people to be positive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like japanese way better.
    Because there is a sense of crisis is more severe punishment than reward.
    But I want to show clearly how the fines are used.And I want to government our lives to help the fines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. > taka, kenk, kuronbo, fama & oyu

    Thanks for your opinions. As Kenk says, it's not a good idea to make people have negative feelings towards saving energy. Oyu has made a good point too. The government should show us clearly how the fines are used, and the money should be used to help our lives. I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you, taka.
    I think Japan is too strict.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the government may restrict it a little. Japan is a serious situation recently.So People should endure it a little. I think the importance is that of each bears it in mind.

    ReplyDelete